Now that you found the perfect paint colour it’s time to pick the right shine level (or sheen). Your choice will depend largely on the type of surface/room that you’re painting and personal preference. Not sure which one is right for your? Here is a handy guide!
- FLAT paint has no shine. While it helps to hide surface imperfections, it cannot be easily cleaned without damage. That’s why it’s great for low traffic areas and ceilings, where a non-reflective finish is best.
TIP: In a deep or accent colour a flat paint can burnish (turn shiny) with repeated rubbing, especially around light switches. For those colours a matte finish is a better choice.
- MATTE paints have all the desired qualities of a flat paint (non reflective finish) but the premium quality ones can generally be cleaned from scuff marks and dirt without damage so they’re perfect for any room in the house!
- EGGSHELL paints have a soft glow and an almost velvety sheen. They are easy to clean and a great compromise between flat and semigloss finishes. They’re long lasting and hard wearing so they suit high traffic areas like hallways, kitchens and bathroom.
- SATIN paints can sometimes be referred to as pearl finishes because of their silky sheen. They are typically mildew resistant and create a protective shell around your walls. They’re also great on furniture and woodwork where a low sheen is desired.
- SEMIGLOSS paints are best on cabinets, woodwork, molding and trim. Because they can be cleaned easily, they are perfect for window sills, shelves and any other flat surface where dust settles. Experiment by painting walls and trim the same colour but vary the sheen for contrast.
- HIGH GLOSS paints are the most reflective and great if you want to create a sleek, modern feel in your space. But they are also the least forgiving! If your surface isn’t perfect, these paints will magnify any imperfections, especially in darker colours.
If you liked this post don’t forget to check back next week to see what’s new on the blog but if you can’t wait our Facebook page is updated daily with amazing spaces, design tips and DIY projects. Or get a sneak peak at life behind the scenes at the paint store (and more stunning rooms) on our Instagram page here.
If you’re local and don’t want to miss a paint sale make sure to join our mailing list by following this link!